Monday, July 30, 2012

What I've Learned Today: Weekend Edition

Chicago!
So my inlaws are in town. They've never been to the midwest before so we figured, we couldn't let them come this far and not see Chicago. Not because Chicago is so great :-P  But because we "hear" it's pretty cool place to be lol. So we took a quick tour, and I must admit, although I wouldn't want to move there, it really IS an awesome place. The tour we took showed so much rich history, and the buildings were unique and beautiful. The fountain, park, and pier were just full of beauty. So while it's a "rival" city, I must give Chicago two thumbs up. I think I can do that w/o betraying my beloved PACKERS!!


What I learned: Chicago is a beautiful place rich in history. Garret's popcorn certainly lives up to it's reputation. Deep dish pizza from Giodarnos can't be beat - at least not from what I've tasted!

Olympics
I DVRd several events since I wasn't able to watch on Saturday. There's so much talent from these athletes. They train all their lives for an event that lasts approx 2 weeks and some change. That's amazing!

What I learned today: Speed walking is an Olympic sport. There's something to working hard for the prize, even if you've worked all your life and the prize comes in 15 minutes. Even Michael Phelps can be beat. Sometimes you have to give up the most precious thing to attain what you have been called to do.

Church Folk
A lot happened at church today. My husband was called on to give a testimony. I had prayed for him at the beginning of service that God would use him to touch others and that he wouldn't be nervous. Little did I know how God really used him. The bible doesn't lie when it says "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death." - Rev. 12:11 And while this is referring to end time prophecy, for me it rings true even now. Many people were encouraged through the words my husband spoke - and I'm sure satan was mad about it. But that's alright because we are already declared more than once as overcomers! You can research for yourself in the Holy Bible and see that I'm not lyin :-)



Something or better yet, someONE else happened. I was in church today, praying for others and doing communion. I saw a "family" come in. And in my "judgmental" mind - they looked "hood". Came in at the last five minutes of church, talkin all loud, having people move out the way to sit in the front etc. Immediately I was like "oh now they need to quit" and I started praying for MYSELF that God would remove that thought I was having, I knew I wasn't right. I then began praying for them. Well, as I finished praying, I was just standing there, and the pastor came and said "Deidra, do you mind going to the other side to help the others pray, I don't think they (those who wanted to be prayed for) can see you over here." I gladly went...and who was waiting for prayer? The woman of that family and her daughters. What did she want prayer for? SALVATION because as she said she had "demons" that she's been trying to get rid of and can't. We went into a long explanation, long story short - I explained that that is something that she couldn't do on her own and that she needed Jesus' help. I explained, that's nothing I could give or do for her (her salvation), she needed to do that for herself, but I would be there with her as she took that step and I would pray for her after. She was scared b/c she "had never done that before" <--that statement in itself is funny to me b/c EVERYONE comes to Christ for the "first time". So I went through some bible verses about salvation and explained it's not as all "holy rollin'" as ppl make it seem...That God wants you to confess to Him that you are a sinner - confess your sins and ask for forgiveness and realize you need Him in your heart and life because clearly you can't do this life alone- accept and believe Him. It was just that simple. And she did - in. her. own. WORDS! That was one of the BEST experiences I've ever had as a "Christian" and I thank God that He let me be a part of it, all while teaching me some lessons.



What I learned today: When you harbor judgement, or ill-will toward a person, you completely remove yourself from being used by God to impact them in the most awesome way possible.


Beware: God convicts, not condemns because conviction shows there's a better way when you humble yourself. Condemnation says "There's no hope for you to get better". 


Allow conviction to happen, you never know what's going to happen when you repent and let your mind be renewed.


Secrets keep us bound. Confession frees our souls. 


You know God is about to do something through you when satan comes in and messes with your thinking, behaviour, attitude, and your spirit. Recognize it for what it is (an attack) don't give in (repent and pray) and move forward (praise God that you know THE better way "I am the way, truth and life - no man comes to the Father but by Me" - Jesus) 


Salvation is easier than what most people make it seem. There's no hocus pocus. And sometimes, you don't get that "holy holy" feeling. Sometimes it's subtle like a gentle breeze - it's not a force, but you know it's there. 


God really wants to teach us some things....we just really have to want to learn :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment