Wednesday, August 22, 2012

What I learned today: Character, perseverance, hope

Freshman Orientation

I actually had a blast going to back to Washington High School today. I didn't graduate from there, in fact, I'm a Bay View Redcat to the heart. But, I have a chance to volunteer there. We've been gone from students all summer. So I forgot just how cool it was to sit and interact with the students. Since we aren't paid faculty and staff, we get a chance to kind of just "be" the students "person" <---sorry, that's an old Grey's Anatomy phrase LOL

Well, today was freshman orientation. A time for the students who are incoming freshman get the books, lockers, and schedules early. They get a chance to go around to certain classes and meet teachers - and in our case, meet adults who care about their future, yet have no educational/teaching background. Our presentation was based off of Character, Perseverance, and Hope. We had one recent graduate who talked about hope, one that graduated from WHS in 2001 that talked about Character, and one that graduated just a few years ago and she talked about perseverance. All of our speakers had a sketchy past, but they all made it though it, wiser, and more humble.

The students for the most part were very receptive. Some even asked questions with out prompting. They seem so eager to learn. I love that.

What I learned today: I'm not a paid teacher or staff, but I love these kids like they were my own!




No comments:

Post a Comment