Friday, August 31, 2012

What I learned today about: Being angry at my husband

This posting is going to have a lot to do with my relationship with my husband.

On yesterday, I was REALLY frustrated. I was explaining my frustration to my husband - it was about the new parking issues at the kids schools and how chaotic it is. We both were going on and on about the faults and inconveniences of it all when out of no where, this lady blows her horn at me. UM, EXCUSE ME!! Don't you know I have had a tough day in traffic already?? Well, if not, lemme show you!! I totally got out of character and did all I could to annoy her while driving. My husband being who he is, tried to calm me down and bring me back to normal, but by that time, I was already off the deep end. So what did I do? I lost it on him. There has only been one time in our eleven years of marriage where we have raised our voices, and now I have done it twice. Him being him, he just sat and distanced himself (which was the best thing - to let me cool down rather than start an argument).

Oh man, I. Felt. HORRIBLE! It's one thing to be upset, but to yell at your husband, your best friend, the one who cares for you, for only trying to calm you down....that's messed up. I had some reconciling to do - and fast. Ephesians 4:26-27 says:

26 “In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 and do not give the devil a foothold.

Sometimes in our relationships, we go on a quest to be right instead of humble. In my anger, I felt like he didn't have my back by him telling me to calm down. I wanted him to be mad at her WITH me. I felt at the time, like I had the RIGHT to be mad at her AND him. But I wasn't right. So I had to humble myself, ask forgiveness from God, and then ask for forgiveness from my husband. Had I wanted to stay right, there would have been a HUGE rift in our relationship as both or our personalities would have taken over and things could have, and probably would have gotten ugly. My personality lends itself to go into attack mode when I'm angry - his he can get quiet and cold. The devil would have had his foothold. For the sake of our marriage, that could not happen. I apologized - he accepted - we talked and reconciled - and moved on. Today he took off of work to stay home with me and we hung out...laughed, talked, planned, and worked. Easy breezin with no animosity.

What I learned today: It's better to be humble, than right.
The thing that makes relationships work is being relevant and connected to one another;which is the actual definition of relation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment