Friday, January 3, 2014

What I Learned Today: Music, Insecurity, and Smiling

*Disclaimer - this is a "throwback". I don't know why I never posted it, but it applies just the same.*

Human nature is a funny thing. We have habits, things we hold on to to make us safe, walls we build and walls we tear down. It often makes you wonder, with our emotions always on, how in the world does anyone hold it together?

This morning showed me the difference. I was driving, coming back from a cancelled appointment (long story). It was still early, a little after 9am. I'm listening to my Christian music, bobbing my head, windows down. The sun was shining - it wasn't too hot, or too cold. Just peaceful and quiet. Then  out of no where, all of that peace was interrupted. I mean loud, profane and vile music emanating from this man's car. In a normal situation, I'd give them the "eye" and roll up my window. But this morning, I felt different. So instead of ignoring him, I looked him directly in the face and smiled.


I think I confused him. He looked back and tried to smile, but it look like his face was kinda stuck in the scowl. You could tell he wanted to, but he couldn't. It was very odd. The light turned green and off we went. While driving, I thought - "wow. I wonder how the REST of this guys day is going to go."

You see, we often times can set the atmosphere for our moods. This guy was intentionally setting the atmosphere of being angry, tense, hateful - I mean for goodness sake - the man couldn't even SMILE! When I'm not in a good mood, my little sister (well, she's a grown woman, but she's MY little sister) always says "D, do you need a touch?" meaning, do I need a hug. It's annoying, but makes me laugh because of what that little joke is connected to, every time.  Well, that day, I wasn't the one that needed a touch - he did! But he was so hateful looking that I'm sure that if someone was giving them out for free, they would have bypassed him. I would hate to be the person that said something wrong to him. Ugh, the day they must have had.

I had friend who put the incident quite succinctly. Our conversation went like this:

Him: There are people that thrive on that energy, many of whom use it as a defense mechanism to cover up insecurities, fears, etc....Being unhappy makes them feel safer, and seeing you happy is threatening to them... Surround them-self with a big angry wall so no one can hurt them, but then again, they perpetually l hurt themselves... Weird irony! 
Me: You always have been sooooo deep! That's so true though. The funny thing was, he tried to smile, but couldn't. I know it's moreso spiritual though. Bondage is a horrible thing. 
Him:  I agree it, it is spiritual...Who you are spiritually reflects in every aspect of your life. It affects the energy you put out, as well as the energy you take it...That's why he tried to smile, but could barely do so...At least your energy touched him enough for him to give it a shot... That might play across his mind today and alter his energy (hopefully)...

What I learned today: Be careful of what you take in naturally because it really does effect you spiritually. It changes both your outlook and character - as well as your "ever lasting life" - Smile! :-)

1 Thessalonians 5:22 ESV
Abstain from every form of evil.

Philippians 4:8 ESV
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

2 comments: