Tuesday, January 14, 2014

What I've Learned Today: Geology, Helping a Boy Understand His God-given Purpose, Kids in Adult Bodies

Pictured: A bunch'a rocks.
Today was the first day we talked about geology. Even though it's my first time. I honestly think that this is one of my least favorite subjects. I would put it riiiiight under math - very close second....very close. But my kids LOVED it. Go figure. Meh. Now I have to figure out how to make myself love it. I mean, don't get me wrong. I love God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit and ALL of their creations. But man, a rock is a rock (and it shall NOT cry out in my name ;-) - a lil biblical humor for ya...anyway). I mean, how much more can you teach about rocks, rubies and diamonds? I just don't wanna. So, any suggestions are more than welcome. I think tomorrow we'll take a trip to the jewelry store. I gotta do something, or else my kids won't know about rocks! LOL

What I Learned Today: I really need the help of some of you folks out there. How do you get yourself interested in something that you have no interest in but KNOW it will benefit someone else? How would you teach about geology.....rocks?



My son in the shadow of his dad.

Today, after a question my son asked during bible study, we started talking about the importance of men to God. It's funny to see my little guy trying to be like his daddy. He tries to "take care" of me while we are out. He says he's practicing to be a husband. Often times I catch him mimicking his daddy in the way he walks. Lately, he's been into sports - sitting next to my husband asking questions and calling out "FLAG!!" or "FOUL!!". It's cute. But there is so much more I wanted him to understand today. I wanted him to understand that boys seek wisdom from godly men, so that one day, they too can be men that God can use. I explained that satan is doing a great job in confusing little boys in WHO they were created to be and why. I explained that little boys who seek wisdom from godly men grow up to be great leaders of their homes and society, of their friends and coworkers, and most importantly of God's kingdom. I explained to him the "role" of a godly woman is not to lead, but we were created equally important as support to godly men that God has placed in leadership - both in our homes and elsewhere. I think that sparked a fire in him. He takes his job as a little boy seriously and I can't wait to see the man that he becomes.

What I learned today: Little boys need to know their purpose in Christ just as much as grown men do. Put it in terms they can understand and they will latch on to it.
Godly men are desperately needed in our boys lives. It's not enough to talk about it, we really must push to do it. The enemy is having a field day with those young boys who don't have that kind of structure in place.


Please grow up. Seeing you act this way is not cute.
There is nothing worse than seeing a developmentally arrested adult. I have witnessed so many adults lately stuck in their child/teen/early adulthood. Reliving mentalities that they should have long been separated from. Paul put it best when he said:

For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. - 1 Corinthians 13:9-12 NIV
And maybe that's just it. There are a bunch of broken, incomplete kids posing as adults. I know, this verse is talking about the completeness when the Lord returns. But if you don't go that deep and just look at "but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears"...and then it moves right into when he was a child he did childish things, but when he grew up he put all of that stuff behind him - it speaks volumes. It's childish to try to "relive" your teenybopper years, your young adult years. There's no way I should see in pictures or hear about someone who is knocking on 40, 50, or 60 still going out to the SAME club dancing to the SAME songs, drinking their SAME favorite drinks they drank when they were 20, and, I'll give you 30. Where is the leadership in teaching the younger generation there's a "better way"? I mean, what are you gonna teach them? The new electric slide? And don't get me started on those still living out their college years - going to homecomings and acting like you did with the same group of people when you were 18, and you are half past 40. It's time to grow up. It's time that we who call ourselves adults step up and be the people that this younger generation can come and seek wisdom from. And they won't if they see you living like they are. In fact, I submit that you can't because that would be the blind leading the blind.....

What I Learned Today: The younger generation's deficiency comes from childish adults.
Childish adults have unaddressed brokenness and incompleteness. Because when they are whole, what is "in part",what is broken, disappears and they can put the childish things they are trying to recapture away..... 


GN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment