Tuesday, January 14, 2014

What I've Learned Today: How to turn a bunch of nothin into a dream....

Today was about as mundane as days can get. Hubby came home and asked "How was your day?" Now, here's the thing - I ask him that daily, and he actually has an answer. Someone or something ticked him off at work, or a program he's been working on finally started working (he loves small victories), or he had lunch with his co-workers at some nice restaurant, or he took a non-smoking "smoke break" and saw a squirrel chase his tail - what ever it is, he has something to tell me.

But when he asks me, I just sit there like.......



I mean, I appreciate his concern. But my day almost always consists of coercing two kids to finish up their work so that we can move on to something else. Fussing about things I tell them constantly like "PUT SOMETHING ON YOUR FEET!!" or "WHO had the BREAD last??". Or answering to "Mommy....mommy....mommy.....are you in the bathroom?"  I mean, I'm not exactly working on solving the world's economy problems here.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE this life. Many mothers wish they could be home and know that the bills will get paid, spend countless hours with their children, and being able to get involved in different activities without concern of having to "take off". But yeah, asking "how was your day" isn't gonna be any different than yesterday or the day before lol. I think he sensed what I was feeling so he flipped the script on me. He asked me what would I have liked my day to be like.

Errrrm'gerd!! I love that man!!!



Ahhhh-HA! He gets me! I mean what a question! That thing opened up a whole world of possibility that I quickly rattled off. I think part of it was being off in a far land. And he had the nerve to ask if I would take the kids....maaaaan, don't be messin up my dream!! LOL And although I knew none of those things could possibly ever happen, it was nice just to close my eyes and let my mind go for a little bit.

What I've learned today: It's ok to dream of another life, but just remember to appreciate the one you really do have.
A well thought out question from your spouse can make you somehow make you feel appreciated. It's like when they ask it, you know they hear and see and understand your struggle!

Power to da people in da struggle!!! *Moms unite!*





2 comments:

  1. I love this and that's SO true!! Though lately when he asks I tell him about something funny or new Hez is doing. Today learned how to spin around. It was the cutest thing ever! I have been doing flash cards with him and today when I pulled up a vid he said "B!" right away. It is cool to see he is actually taking in the things I have been teaching him for months, he just can't verbally say it. I grabbed to foam B after he said it because I was in disbelief--then he said it again loud and crystal clear when I held it up. I know homeschooling will be a challenge, but moments like the ones I had today and seeing my effort pay off made me really excited to see how this will grow as he gets older.

    I'm sorry I made this about me. You are am amazing mommy and wife and here is an e-hug from me to you! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, see, you have precious moments to look forward to...lots of firsts. That can bring joy to many mundane situations. Kinda like the new baby verses old kid smell we always talk about LOL!!

      And you didn't make this about you - don't be silly! This whole thing is about being in "mommy-nation" and you are 1 yr a member! Congrats on everything!! You're awesome!

      Delete