Monday, January 27, 2014

What I Learned Today: My daughter has the entrepreneurial bug, Martial Arts, Patois


So, my husband and I have created this tradition. On Thursday nights, we have TED Talk night where we watch a few videos that make us laugh and think together. On Friday nights is Family Movie Night where the kids get to pick a video and we watch it together over dinner and at night is our turn to watch a movie together. Our usual choice is some kind of martial art video. Well, we discovered over the weekend, we have watched just about every Chinese and Japanese martial art video our Amazon Prime account had to offer (we don't like the ones set in "modern" day times where they are fighting in cities like, New York or something...it just doesn't seem right. We are more traditional in our martial art movie watching.) Well, we decided to venture out of our norm and watch a Thai martial arts movie...and WOW!! That's some good fighting!

What I learned: Thai fighting is brutal but effective. Also, their god resembles them an awful lot.


Z's brain for the last couple of years
My baby girl is always trying to come up with some sort of business. Last year she wanted a lemonade stand. The year before that she wanted to constantly have garage sales. This past fall, she wanted to sell oak tree seeds and pine cones (we live in the city of oaks and lobbly pines, you can get these in your own yard). Last week she gathered some stones and sticks and wanted to sell them to the neighborhood kids. I quickly discouraged that for fear of some kid paying her $5 for some rocks she probably got out of their yard LOL. I don't need angry parents at my door. But today, today! Today she came up with a brilliant idea that involves her love for sewing and creativity. It was so good, that tomorrow morning I am going to have her learn about writing up a business plan and about implementation. I see real potential in that idea and I hope she sees it through.

What I learned today: The road to being a true entrepreneur is missing the mark until you hit the bulls eye. Then once you hit the bulls eye, you keep aiming and firing away until it becomes a part of you. Never get discouraged, it might take a while to hit that eye though.

Yesterday, I watched a video of a young Jamaican girl having a fit because of something her aunt told her to do. This baby was ticked off!! And she tickled me pink listening to her attitude and thick accent. So, I decided to "learn" Patois - and low and behold, Youtube has a channel for that!

What I Learned Today: Patois is an official language and they are actually working on standardizing it for teaching. I wonder if I can use that as a foreign language for the kiddos? LOL

Likkle More! (Bye!)

No comments:

Post a Comment