Thursday, January 9, 2014

What I've Learned Today: Homeschooling Works!, Let Dead Things Stay Dead, Be the Voice of Reason

My husband and I embarked on this homeschooling journey this year. I often look around at posts on Facebook to get ideas, but more than I like, run across questions that just baffle me. I read about people wondering how to handle family members that don't "accept" their decision to homeschool, people feeling anxiety that they can't teach their child, people trying to find the "next best" homeschool curriculum, and people wondering even after years of doing this, if this was the right decision.

I thank God, that I didn't have this problem. I had a supportive husband, family, and friends. I knew that this was going to be a great decision because I prayed about it and got confirmation more than once. After research, I knew how I wanted to run "my school" and what I wanted my children to learn. And we've been having a great time learning since. Sure, there are things I would like to do better - find more "outside" learning activities that introduce my children to the world they live in...for FREE or low cost lol - but all in all, I am loving this journey God put me on.

I sometimes wonder why has this been so easy for me. I think much of it is because I put my faith in what I know to be true. And those things are this:

1. It is my husband's and my responsibility to train our children. 

Proverbs 22:6 (KJV) 
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
I get to teach them what matters most to us as well as give them a well rounded education. I get to guide them in exploring things that interest them. I get to influence them and their decision making - not someone else who only knows my children for about 7 hours a day, and not other children that may have different worldviews and upbringing than my children.

2. God has equipped me for this service.

2 Timothy 2:24 (NLT) 
A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but must be kind to everyone, be able to teach, and be patient with difficult people.

Think about it. We teach our children everyday, and sometimes can be some of the most difficult people we come across in a 24 hour span. And, sure, our teaching may not be institutional teaching, but we teach our children how to follow directions, how to read, how to dial a phone, how to do daily living. And not once do we really worry about if we are "doing" it right. We trust that we are raising and teaching our children in the best way we know how. Yes, there are some parents that haven't gotten very far in their education and some "concepts" may be hard to understand. Some parents may have a very skewed moral compass. But, for the most part all of us have the ability to teach - good or bad. The bonus is when we have a pure heart and can also teach skills as well as godly character! So, yes, God has equipped me for service to our children.

So, if you are thinking about homeschooling, if it has ever crossed your mind and you've talked yourself out of it because you think you can't "do it", I challenge you to kill the negative talk. Take inventory of what you know to teach, and discover with your child what you know you don't know! Grow together with them...this homeschool thing really works! And just like the gospel of Christ, it's not as hard as people make it out to be.

What I've Learned Today: Think of homeschooling as living, exploring, and discovery - it's what you do everyday.


Don't Return To What's Dead 

I learned from an experience I had today - well, yesterday. And it reminded me of the story of Sampson. I know many of us may have heard of this extraordinary biblical man. He was a man of great strength, also a man of pride and disobedience which also became his downfall. He was a man who was born to be set apart from the rest. God had given his parents special instructions in how to raise him and a set of rules he was to follow to stay pure. As Samson grew older, he defied those rules the Lord gave him. One such rule was to not touch anything dead. Well, as it is written, one day, Samson defeated a lion. Completely killed it. After killing it, he went on his way. Eventually, Samson returns the same route he left and he sees the carcass of the lion, but this time, a colony of honeybees set up shop in the lion. Instead of Samson following his instructions of not touching anything dead, he saw the honey was good to eat, and returned to the dead lion and defiled himself.

There is a strong parable here that I have to point out really quick that goes hand in hand with what I learned today. God calls His children to be like Samson - set apart. When we chose to live by His rules and instructions, He gives us power. It may not be physical strength, but there's power that He gives to equip us to walk in His way and do His works, as well as live holy before Him. He gives us the power to kill situations that are before us so that we can walk on without fear and live in victory. But while He gives us clear instructions, He also gives us freedom of choice. Samson could have chose a different route. We too, once we kill something that prevented us from walking closer to God can choose a different route so not to come back in contact with that "something". When we choose to be like Samson and return to what is dead because it's enticing (that relationship, that argument, the street life, that friendship etc), we defile ourselves before Him. So is the situation that I encountered and learned from yesterday.
taken from Artist Alexandra Beguez
http://www.alexandrabeguez.com/SAMSON










What I learned today: If He gave you the power to kill it, don't touch it! Chiiiile, let that thang stay dead! The honey is not that sweet....believe Him.


Voice of Reason

My children and I are learning about wisdom this month. I taught them that wisdom is totally different than intelligence and knowledge. Wisdom is the application of what you know. Sometimes not everyone uses wisdom because not everyone has the knowledge to do so. And sometimes that might not be because they haven't studied something, but because they are emotionally blind and can't access the knowledge so that they can use the wisdom. For example, if person A is in an argument and person B comes to their defense - person B could be emotionally blind, not access or gain knowledge of the full situation, or make good knowledgeable decision making, and therefore can't use wisdom to help the person or defuse the altercation appropriately. This can cause more harm than good. IF WE ARE IN CHRIST, we must always remember to be the peacemakers He has called us to be IF you can help in the situation. If not, just hold your peace and pray.

What I learned today: Use wisdom to help bring truth and peace - don't be a pot stirrer.

GN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment